Plastic and cosmetic surgery has come a long way over the years when it comes to facelifts. No longer is it the “one-size fits all” solution. I am often asked the difference between facelift options that exist today and which one is considered the very best. The ultimate facelift, in my opinion, is one that presents a natural, rejuvenated appearance,
without any obvious signs of having had a facelift procedure.
The average person would say that a facelift looks “natural” when there are no visible incisions, or there are no obvious signs of the “windswept look” or distorted “pull” of the face. Facelifts can appear more obvious because of noticeable distortions of facial features such as earlobe traction, a distorted smile, an abnormal pull to the corners of the mouth, or the overall features of the face simply being pulled too tight.
Remarkably this is not difficult, however it does require an experienced and skilled surgeon with savvy aesthetic judgment. Additionally, the procedure demands appropriate planning and communication between the patient and surgeon.
Here are 5 keys to the Ultimate, Quality facelift.
1. Hidden Incisions. Incisions must be hidden so that there is no distortion of the hairline or earlobe.
2. Avoid the Windswept Look. The pull of the skin must be natural. This is achieved with an upwards skin shift, vertical in the face and at a 45° angle in the neck (backwards)
behind the ear.
3. Cinching Facial Muscles. In order to improve the longevity of a facelift, tightening the deep muscle layer (SMAS) will relieve overall skin tension, which, if not attended to,
may create an unnatural appearance of the skin.
4. High Attention to Detail. Precise “detail work”, such as closing incisions around the ear, is critical to eliminating the stigma of facelift incisions.
5. Choosing the Right Plastic Surgeon. The experience and expertise of your surgeon is most critical when it comes to facelift surgery. Consider obtaining more than one
opinion regarding your facelift, especially if there is any uncertainty about their specific
recommendations, the rapport with your surgeon, or any red flags or concerns you may
have regarding safety. Make sure you are confident that your surgeon understands your expectations and communicates the surgical plan effectively.
Last of all, keep in mind communication and expectations are the most important
ingredients to obtaining the best result from facelift surgery.